Friday, September 2, 2011

He Heard My Voice

Any given morning around here goes something like this. I wake up to the smell of dirty diapers and the sounds of screaming babies. Sound familiar to anyone? This morning started a bit earlier then usual and so of course I'm in a less then delightful mood. Make the coffee. Pour the cereal. And for me and my youngest I make a veggie juice. My house by the way is pretty much a wreck and I've got a super busy day ahead of me. Immediately after breakfast I send the kiddos out to play. I'm pretty sure my neighbors hate me because of how loud they are so early in the morning but...well I don't really care. Not really. I do my best to remind them to be as quiet as possible but the inevitable happens. One of them shrieks as loud as possible and screams while they run to the door. Today it was my 2 year old, Alex. He fell and "bunk my chin and my hand mamma." Here's the deal. This kid is tough. Not just your normal average tough but he's pretty stinking hard core. He's constantly experimenting with gravity. He rarely hurts himself enough to cause tears and even then by the time he runs to me to tell me about it he's over it. So this morning when he runs to me screaming his brains out and tells me he hurt his chin and his hand he's pretty much over it by the time he finishes explaining what happened. I give him a sympathetic "ahh are you ok?" and he says "yeah, I ok mamma." He darts off to the next adventure. Even though Alex is pretty tough I'm sure I'm not the only mom out there who's done this. Your child falls, cries, runs to you, and you hug them or kiss them and it's all better. Now nothing we do is exactly scientific right? It just somehow magically makes them feel better to tell mamma.

I'd like to strongly suggest the idea that it's the same way with our Father. We go through things, we get our feelings hurt or maybe even physically are hurting, have you told Him about it? Sometimes, at least for me, I feel like my thing really isn't worth going to Him about. Or sometimes it's even Him I'm upset with! Does He care? And doesn't He already know what I'm thinking and feeling anyway? So what's the point? The point is, when we tell Him, when we run to Him crying, when we know He hears, it just makes it better somehow. A lot of the time nothing about our circumstances change. How does it work? I don't know. I just know that when I cry out to Him, when I'm totally honest about my situation and my feelings, I know He hears. I know He's sympathetic. Sometimes it's me who's wrong...ok most of the time it's me who's wrong but just getting His opinion about it is pretty powerful. Just letting Him know makes me feel better.


So often this becomes a battle of pride doesn't it? Can I trust Him with my stuff? And to think I can't trust Him kind of means I don't think He's big enough, it kind of comes back to me thinking I'm capable of living this life on my own. I don't know about you, but that's not where I want to be. It's just so not worth it.

Psalm 18 NASB
6 In my distress I called upon the LORD,
And cried to my God for help;
He heard my voice out of His temple,
And my cry for help before Him came into His ears.
....

But the LORD was my stay.
19 He brought me forth also into a broad place;
He rescued me, because He delighted in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment